come here
I said it once and the city heard it
the pavement heard it
the man three doors down
pulling the shutter down
heard the cost of it
the specific frequency
of a woman
calling to another woman
in the dark
come here
the street at 2am is sodium light
on the curve of a shoulder
on the deliberate walk
of a woman who has paid
to be standing here
moving towards
exactly what she wants
your hands already moving
before I finish the sentence
your hands knowing
without asking
the curve of the hip
the held breath
the place where the skin
runs warm and thin
and answers
I have your collar in my hand
I am not gentle about it
you don't need gentle
you need the other thing
the honest thing
the thing I've been thinking about
since the bar
since the cigarette
since the first time
you looked at me
like a problem
you'd already solved
and I looked back
like I'd already said yes
and thought nothing more of it
which was everything
your weight against mine
worth every year it cost
every quiet invoice
paid in private
without receipt
the body I have paid for
in ways I don't tell strangers
is here
is open
is every room
you thought was locked
something comes out of you
older than words
the sound the body makes
when it stops performing
being a body
I know that sound
I have spent years
learning to make it
that catch in the throat
low and animal
and mine
the city outside
does not intervene
the siren goes by
and there is just
your mouth
your hands
the weight of you
finding me
finding me
in the dark
your mouth
on the soft of it
the specific give
of this body
under yours
learning each part
like something
worth knowing
by heart
you take your time
with all of it
like someone who knows
exactly what they are doing
with a found thing
like someone
who does not intend
to stop

Comments
Post a Comment